German Patent Attorney
European Patent Attorney
A large part of Alexander Ortlieb's work involves prosecuting international, European and German patent and utility model applications. He has particular expertise in conducting opposition proceedings, in particular before the Boards of Appeal of the European Patent Office. He also has wide experience in preparing freedom-to-operate and validity opinions and represents clients in patent litigation matters.
His specialist fields are physics, medical technologies and diagnostics, computer-implemented inventions, mechanical engineering and telecommunications.
Partner, shareholder and managing director at Maiwald
Worked in a specialized IP firm in New York and in the IP department of one of the largest US medical technology innovators in order to gain insights into US patent law and practice.
Patent attorney at Maiwald
Patent attorney trainee at Maiwald
Admitted to practice as a European patent attorney
Admitted to practice as a German patent attorney
Studied law for patent attorneys at the University of Hagen
Studied physics and economics at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg and Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Internships at Daimler Chrysler AG and at General Semiconductor (now Vishay Corp.)
Werkstudent bei General Semiconductor (heute Vishay Corp.)
- Patent prosecution and portfolio management
- Filing strategies and drafting patent applications
- Opposition and appeal proceedings
- Patent litigation
- Freedom-to-operate and validity opinions
- Recommended in MIP IP Stars 2016
- Auch "kleinere" Ideen sind schützenswert, Rechtsguide, 2020 (together with Eva Dörner)
- Representation of a prestigious US university before the EPO’s Enlarged Board of Appeal in the G1/16 case, where the Board handed down a landmark decision on the allowability of disclaimers
- German Patent Attorney Association